Sunday, February 1, 2009

Why Cloud Wizard?

The biggest annoyance with Open Source software is the time it takes to install. Much of it is poorly documented and tested. I might download a package and find that it conflicts with something I need. It might take 3 hours to uninstall the application.

One of the big reasons I wrote Cloud Wizard as a command line language was that I wanted to be able to exchange scripts. I thought that an Open Source author could write one script that could be copied off the web page. I would run that script against any compute cloud like Amazon. I would test a fully configured system for an hour and pay amazon 10 cents.

Just not worrying about the problem of uninstalling would be worth 10 cents. If the system could be started fully configured, that would just be a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment