Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Shoulders and Giants and Open Souce

One of the great things of Open Source is that you do not have to start from scratch.  You can start with other open source.  The problem with other open source is license campatibility.  I am a programmer not a lawyer so how do I achieve my goals without running into license hell.

Cloud Wizard is going to be based on other Open Source.  I decided on the New BSD license because it is very liberal.  I think the GPL's come with lectures and legal viruses.  Other people may like that but I do not consider it Free Open Source Software if it comes legal obligations.

All the package dependencies for CW will be BSD, MIT, Apache or some other really open license.  If I really have to, I will include LGPL.  All the dependencies will have to use easy_install to make it simple.  

I am working toward a PYPI release by Dec 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment